If you are someone who has dark hair then you are going to love the bleach since it will enhance your personality. Though compared to someone who has lighter hairs, bleach for dark hair is b it harder. Everyone has a different hair type and so you need to be very careful when it comes to choosing the best bleach for dark hair. If you are allergic to certain chemicals then you should always check all the ingredients before applying. There are many who suffer scalp issues and hair damage. In this article we have written a guide on what things you should look at when getting your first bleach and also reviewed 7 best bleach products for dark hair to use at home.
Things to Consider About Hair Lighteners
There is a misconception among people regarding hair lighteners. That is hair bleaching results in hair color minimization. But, this fact is not quite true. Actually, the hair bleachers are used to permanently remove any unwanted highlights made previously on hair.
Generally, hair lightening products are effective during the first few hours of applying it. However, in certain exceptional cases, the hair color continues to fade even after 2 hours of its application. The product generally works according to the darkness of your original hair color.
Other things to consider before buying a hair bleach:
– Having an Anti-dust Hair Bleach
Hair bleach products are generally available in powdered form. So, when this fine powder is dumped into a container, it may create dust which if inhaled can be harmful for your lungs. It can also settle on your mouth or nose giving you an unpleasant smell or taste.
So, before buying a suitable hair bleach, make sure it is an anti-dust product. It is a technique that decreases the possibility of dust from being inhaled while you dump the product.
– Don’t Pick a Kit for Your Hair Lightener
If you purchase a complete kit, then you will get both toner and developer within with the hair bleacher. This means that the bleach product won’t be available in sufficient quantity. So, it is better to buy all the three-bleach, toner, and developer separately.
You can later purchase the other accessories like measuring device, clips, purple shampoo separately. The benefit of buying the products and accessories separately is you get extras which aren’t available in the kit. Overall, the cost price of individual purchase is lesser than getting the whole kit.
– Analyzing Hair Damage and After-effect
Bleaching often damages hair quality. So, you must be very cautious while selecting a hair bleaching product for yourself. Plus, you shouldn’t bleach your hair frequently. Keep a gap of at least 1 to 2 weeks between two consecutive hair bleaching treatments.
Most importantly, do apply hair oil and condition to nurture and moisturize your hair. However, your hair may suffer even the slightest of damage when bleached.
The good thing is if you are concerned about your hair, then the damage can be recovered to some extent. Simply, make sure to buy the bleacher, oil, or conditioner that perfectly nourishes your hair after bleaching.
Top 7 Best Hair Bleach For Dark Hair Reviews
1. Wella Blondor Multi Blonde Powder Lightener [Most Popular Choice]
If you want to go blonde with your natural hair color, then Wella Blondor Multi Blonde Powder Lightener is for you. Applying this bleacher will lighten your hair by 7 shades.
Experts generally recommend using any hair color remover to remove hair highlights if that’s the reason behind using this product. If you have naturally black or wheatish hair, then you might have to bleach a few times with this product.
Wella Blonder is a professionally used product. However, you won’t require any professional stylist license to purchase it. Only that you should know the tips and tricks of applying the bleacher so as to get professional outcome.
The product type is powdered. So, when applied, you get a silky smooth feeling on your hair. Another good thing about the product is its anti-dust formula keeping you safe from inhaling it. Plus, you get an intense vibrant hair shade once the bleaching is done.
- Generally, doing a professional hair bleaching requires a lump sum amount. is a must. The reason is that you have to apply it a few times at the same sitting for better bleach (as discussed in description). So, it is better to go and purchase the product which costs much less than the amount spent on the same in salon.
- This hair bleacher makes your hair 7 shades lighter. That means no matter how dark your hair color is, you can get medium brown to blonde shade just at a single sitting.
- The product has a super smooth texture with intense hair lightening capacity. Plus, it won’t damage your hair quality as long as you are careful while using it.
- Frequent use of this product in excessive quantities can cause serious hair damage. A real darker hair doesn’t go blonde at once unless you have tried bleaching several times. This is the nature of any hair lightener though.
- People with sensitive scalp may suffer from mild irritation after applying the product.
2. L’Oreal Quick Blue Powder Bleach
L’Oreal Quick Blue Powder Bleach contains a kit of 1 pound of fine powdered product. It has an anti-dust characteristic which keeps you free from inhaling issues. This product is especially made for professional purpose. So, it is important that your client don’t have an unpleasant dusty feeling during the bleach.
This exclusive salon product is presented by L’Oreal. So, it is particularly meant for salon applications by professionals. However, the product is now publicly available for purchase.
When a professional expert uses this item, then it is certain that the product is worth using. In fact, who will not prefer a salon style hair bleaching product at home?
The advantage of this product is it smells milder. Since bleaching is a time taking process, professionals generally prefer using the one that has little or no smell in it. Similarly, you won’t prefer a product that leaves behind a bleach smell at your home after its application.
- The plus point of this item is its tub size. You get 1 pound of powdered anti-dust blue color bleach, which contrasts over blonde shade (if your hair color has orange tones).
- It lightens your hair color upto 7 shades. If you prefer dark to lighter hair shade, then this product is an ideal choice. However, you may need to take a few sessions to get the ultimate lighter shade, even though you can get it in your first session only.
- It does not cause scalp irritation or burning sensation.
- Your hair may turn orange if you are applying it on a darker natural hair. In that case, you need to continue with the process periodically to get the required result.
- No instructional leaflet is available with this product kit, for it’s a product meant for professionals, who are already aware of its application.
3. Manic Panic Flash Lightning Hair Bleach
Manic Panic Flash Lightning Hair Bleach is a de-dusted hair bleaching product. It is available in fine powdered form. The product is generally suggested to people who prefer darker to lighter hair. However, it is always better to slowly step up the usage level of the product so as to maintain the hair health and ensure less damage.
In this kit, all the required bleaching accessories are available along with the hair bleaching product. A mixer box and cream developer followed by hand gloves, plastic cap, and a tinting brush are too available. Overall, Manic Panic hair bleach is ideal for you before getting your hair pink, blue, purple, or green colored.
Like the previous product, this too lightens your hair color by 7 shades. That means you get a dark black/brown to dark blonde shade. If you are planning to do permanent hair dye after a proper bleach, then this product might help. For even lighter hair shade, you need to apply the product more frequently.
A blue toner along with a 4 ounces developer is available with the bleach product. In fact, the accessories are quite necessary to conduct a professional style hair bleaching at home. There is a leaflet available with the kit so that you use the accessories properly while bleaching.
- Before adding further color to your hair, it is better to bleach it to prevent the existing hair color or highlight. Plus, it lightens the natural shade of your hair making it perfect for further hair dye. Else, adding one color upon another doesn’t even show up the newly added color properly.
- Dark black/brown to dark blonde hair can be perfectly bleached for color dying.
- Several accessories are available in this product kit so that you can conduct the bleaching as professionally as in salon. There is a brush along with a pair of gloves for bleaching your hair.
- In case you have previously highlighted your hair, then this kit can help you remove it with a color remover. Then you can bleach the hair before dyeing further.
- Prolonged application of this bleach product can turn your hair color to orange. However, a toner can prevent it from happening. Lastly, this hair lightener can affect if left longer on hair during bleaching.
4. Schwarzkopf Professional Blond Me Premium Lift 9
Schwarzkopf Professional Blond Me Premium Lift 9 is a professional bleach mainly used by salon experts. Stylists prefer it for its 9 shades lightening feature which can easily turn your coal black hair to dark blonde. The product works best on dark brown hair.
It is important to apply the correct developer, toner, and shampoo with this product. This recommendation is mainly for the home-users who often ignore this concern. Also, make sure to apply a hair masking conditioner right before bleaching. Your hair has to be in its best condition while doing the bleach.
A huge tub of the product is available, which can be applied more than once for bleaching, if needed. If you have naturally blonde hair, then applying this product can turn it brassy when bleached.
- Although it is made for professionals, home-users are welcome to use it personally. But, make sure to know the correct process of its application. The extra strong bleaching effect of this product is why many home-users prefer it.
- It has an extraordinary 9 lift bleaching feature, enabling you to re-style your hair with any shade you want.
- The product also helps you to color the hair in pink, blue, or green. Plus, it won’t affect your hair quality as long as you take good care of the hair.
- Try using the developer from the same manufacturer as of the bleach product. Else, pick some other alternative. Without an improper developer, this bleach can burn your scalp, cause sores and severe irritation.
5. Jolen Creme Bleach Formula Plus Aloe Vera
Apart from all the bleaches in this list, Jolen Creme Bleach Formula Plus Aloe Vera is the one used for lightening unwanted body and facial hair. Sometimes, it becomes important to bleach the hair of your arms and other body parts too.
Never apply the hair bleach on your face or body hair. Doing so will affect your skin badly. Jolen bleach is available with a smooth moist cream meant for skin. The cream contains aloe vera extracts and it should be applied on skin before bleaching. Application of this cream reduces the risk of skin irritation.
Some professionals suggest not to apply any bleach product on eyebrows by yourself. But, perhaps this is one of the ideal products which you can use for facial bleach. The item is so soft and easy going that you can use it twice or more to lighten your dark body hairs.
- This product is ideal for facial as well as whole body bleach.
- Don’t risk your skin by using hair bleach. Otherwise, it will cause serious skin damage. It is definitely not worth compromising with your beauty when a product like Jolen is available in the market.
- If left on for long, then this product can be harmful to your skin causing burns. Set a timer after applying the product and wash it off as the time is up.
6. Clairol Professional Bw2 Lightener
Clairol Professional Bw2 Lightener bleach powder is an anti-dust product to keep you safe from inhaling it. As you shake the powder kit, a mist may form, which then can easily enter your lungs causing serious health risks. However, the product is absolutely safe for bleaching purposes.
The humectant property of this product suppresses the powder from dusting up while dumping and mixing it in a container.
This professional hair lightening item has extra strength to tarnish dark hair to blonde shade. It can provide you with 7 shades lighter hair. However, it can even lighten the hair to further levels depending on your actual hair color.
- Virgin hair has a natural shiny texture which many women can’t afford to ruin by using hair bleach. But, this product is the one which you can apply on virgin hair and get a damage-free bleach.
- It can be applied on treated or rose-colored hair. For better hair bleaching results, use an appropriate color remover before bleaching to get a smooth hair texture.
- The product will have a creamy appearance when applied with the developer. Plus, it doesn’t matter if you don’t have the toner to bring the brassy color after bleach. However, for darker hair, it requires the hair bleach treatment for more than once.
- The product has an unpleasant smell. So, avoid preparing it in a closed room but a well-ventilated place.
7. Schwarzkopf Igora Vario Blond Plus
Schwarzkopf Igora Vario Blond Plus is a de-dusted bleach product reducing its possibility of getting inhaled. It is a salon based product, mostly prefered by the hair professionals for its issue-less property. It is easy to mix and apply, and doesn’t cause hair damage.
The product can give upto 8 shade lighter hair. However, the change in shade depends on the quantity of developer added to the bleach. Adding a higher volume of developer ensures better hair lightening. You might take at least 2 sittings to lighten the hair completely.
Schwarzkopf is developed with fibre bond technology. It protects your hair from breakage and damage. When applied, the product locks your hair structure, thereby maintaining the hair strength during bleaching.
- This expert product is mostly seen in the busiest hair salons. At the same time, it is effective for home-users. People who have high concern for their hair can use this product and get salon-type results at home.
- The product is entranced by the fibre bond technology, which protects the hair strength and structure during bleaching.
- One good thing about this product is its anti-dust property. It reduces chances of catching dust in your lungs and is also safe for the environment.
- Its 8 shade lightening formula may cause hair issues, especially to the home-users, if tried to lighten the hair in one sitting.
Picking the one that best suits your hair will be the product of professional strength for you. Although it is ultimately the hair lightener that is used in any salon, you can apply it by yourself sitting at home. You won’t require any professional hair-dresser license to buy a professional bleacher-kit for home-based hair bleaching.
Make sure about the product that you get for yourself. Sometimes, you may require a hair color remover prior to bleaching the original shade. You need to be observant and do deep research on the hair bleachers before applying it on your hair. Else, your hair may end up with serious damage beyond repair. Hope that helps you to choose the one suitable for you among the products listed above.